Step into a rare tropical world at Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge in Alamo Texas. Spanish moss drips from trees. Noisy chachalacas welcome the morning dawn. A malachite butterfly flits from the shadows… Established in 1943 for the protection of migratory birds, Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge happens to be positioned along an east-west and north-south juncture of two major migratory routes for many species of birds.
It is also at the northern-most point for many species whose range extends south into Central and South America. The refuge is right in the middle of all this biological diversity, which is what makes this 2,088 acre parcel the ‘jewel of the National Wildlife Refuge System.’ Though small in size, Santa Ana offers visitors an opportunity to see birds, butterflies and many other species not found anywhere else in the United States beyond deep South Texas.
When you visit Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, you’re entering the home of approximately 400 bird species, 450 types of plants, half of all butterfly species found in North America, and such rarities as the indigo snake and altamira oriole.
Most out-of-town visitors will see or hear a new bird species before even making it into the refuge’s Visitor Center! Sit in the refuge’s breezeway and watch the birds or hike more than 14 miles of trails. Take an open-air tram ride or join a guided nature walk. The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.
- More Attraction DetailsAddress: Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center
Alamo, Texas 78516Hours: Open Daily 8:00 am-4:00 pm
- Local Points of InterestLocal Shopping:
Palms Crossing, Quintanilla Tire Shop, Ayalas Tire Shop, Lilly Gift Flower Shop, Bealls, Nancy's Flower Shop, Joe's Tackle Shop, Adri's Bakery & Cake Shop
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Lentils Au Gratin is a vegetarian dish which is a …
- Impress your family or guests with a Black Cherry Tart …
- Halibut and Zucchini is a super fast, and really tasty …
- This recipe for All American Apple Pie gets an A+ …
- Southern Pecan Pie is an easy and tasty dessert you’re …
- White Fish Saute uses any kind of firm, white fish …
- Camping, outdoor activities or emergencies, a quality hand-held flashlight can …Read More »
- As the heavy snowpack across Minnesota melts under warming temperatures, …Read More »
- The Jayco Eagle HT 264BHOK was awarded the Category Spotlight …Read More »
- No matter where you live, it won’t be long before …Read More »
- Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park in Stonewall Texas is …Read More »
- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is responsible for protecting …Read More »